Homework & Rewards
Homework is seen by the college as a valuable part of learning. Subject teachers will set different types of homework. By doing them students will:
- practise and consolidate what they have learnt in lessons,
- extend and deepen their understanding by independently exploring the topics that they have covered at school.
- review and revise prior learning, often in preparation for an assessment
- work independently on an extended project
Students should record the tasks set in their planners. Students are also notified of homeworks via google class.
Students are not given a homework timetable, so they will need to plan their time to ensure that the amount of homework is evenly distributed during their school week. Students should ensure that they meet deadlines as set by teachers, and are expected to take an increased responsibility for their own learning, including homework, as they move up the school.
It is helpful if parents/carers can provide a quiet working place at work and a routine each day to allow time for homework. Please support your child in completing homework tasks to a high standard by checking your child's planner or google class page regularly, and discussing their homework with them. The provision of high quality homework is central to our commitment to providing opportunities for independent learning and for on-going constructive feedback.
We believe that homework should:
- allow students to continue to make progress in their subject areas; this may be through reinforcing or extending work completed in lessons;
- be appropriate to the individual;
- be supported by high quality feedback from either the teacher or structured peer/self-assessment.
Homework could be set as a one off task per fortnight, alternatively, it could be a series of 15 minute tasks set more regularly – depending upon the nature of the subject area. In order to avoid students receiving an overload of homework, we are committed to giving at least 48 hours for the completion of any task.
Parent/carers can support students by:
- Asking students to explain in their own words what the homework task is and how to tackle it.
- Checking that the task in the student organiser has been clearly written down.
- Making sure that homework is done in a conducive environment and at an appropriate time.
- Checking that students are organised, with everything they need to complete the task.
- Encouraging students by asking questions, by testing on a learning homework, by listening and by praising their child for taking pride in their work.
- Using the student organiser to communicate with student's Form Teacher.
All the College staff is committed to recognising and celebrating the achievements of all our students. We are here to encourage self-belief in our students so they strive to be the best that they can be. Our system of rewards intends to acknowledge success, to motivate students to do their best and to share their successes with parents/carers.
Students are motivated when:
- there are good positive relationships between students and teachers
- students enjoy what they are doing and understand why they are doing it
- students are given choices in the way they do things
- their goals are clear and they know how to achieve them
- their positive achievements are recognised.
Our system of rewards intends to acknowledge success, to motivate students to do their best and to share their successes with parents/carers.
Teacher administered reward points
Teachers will administer either 1 or 2 rewards points to students using the criteria below. Teachers may decide to award a faculty certificate which for truly outstanding work. Students would receive 3 points for this reward.
|Level 1 Reward (1 point)||
Demonstrating excellent effort or progress
High quality class or homework
Being helpful to a fellow student or staff member
Persevering through a challenging situation
|Level 2 Reward (2 points)||
Consistently excellent effort or progress
Outstanding class or homework
Valued contribution to the college outside of lessons e.g. at an event or extra-curricular club
|Level 3 Reward (3 points)||A faculty certificate will be issued home for truly commendable work/effort/progress/contributions|
Students will receive additional reward points for excellent attendance and no negative behaviour entries.
|100% attendance over 4 weeks, cumulative over the year e.g. 1 point first, 2 second, 3 next and thereafter.||1 point|
|No negative behaviour entries over 4 weeks, cumulative over the year e.g. 1 point first, 2 second, 3 next and thereafter||1 point|
Markers for Success
As students accumulate points through teacher administration and automated point scoring they will be able to view the current point score via the intranet and remote access.
Students will move through the threshold levels which will also be visible via the intranet.
Students and Parent/Carers will receive an electronic certificate every time they move to a higher level.