Keeping children safe over the summerBottisham Village College consider the protection and safeguarding of children to be of highest priority.
We would like to ensure our students stay safe over the summer. With the expansion of students having access to online content through smart phones, it is essential that our students are aware of the dangers, use caution and act responsibly online. We have covered many aspects of e-safety as part of the ICT and PSHE curriculum in school; however, we believe it is essential that all students’ online use is monitored both in school and out of school.
We advise all parents and carers to monitor carefully what their children are doing online, including their conversations with friends or other people online. This may require you having full access to their devices so you can see the online applications they are using. We recommend you understand the applications (or apps) they have installed and that privacy settings are enabled so their profiles are not available to anyone but their friends that they know.
There has been some recent developments which some social media platforms that we believe can potentially increase the risk to our students. These include the following:
- Snapchat have just introduce a location-sharing feature called SnapMaps. It is possible to disable the feature using the privacy settings. Students have been shown in school how to disable this feature.
- Monkey, is a social media app, which allows people to ‘chat’ anonymously with other people around the world. We would recommend caution using such a service as it is essential students are aware of who they are talking to. There has been some serious safeguarding issues concerning this app recently in the National press.
For more information, we have some guidance available on our website, which can be accessed via the following link - http://www.bottishamvc.org/parent-information/e-safety-guidance/
We will be covering e-safety and other important areas at our information evenings at the start of next term. Each evening will start at 6.30PM and finish by 7.30PM. The dates of these evenings are as follows:
- 11th September 2017 Information Year 7 Parents and Carers
- 18th September 2017 Information Year 8 Parents and Carers
- 25th September 2017 Information Year 9 Parents and Carers
- 2nd October 2017 Information Year 10 Parents and Carers
- 19th March 2018 Exam Readiness Information Evening for Parents and Carers