Health & Social Care
Why take Health & Social Care?
- You are interested in working with people.
- You want a career in either Health care or Social care.
- You are able to work independently and enjoy researching and producing written assignments.
What is a typical lesson like?
There is no typical lesson. We discuss and we listen. We research topics and produce evidence supporting the research.We have visiting speakers.
What will I study?
In Year 10 you will look at effective communication. This will involve considering how people communicate in a given setting such as a nursery. This will involve assignment work. You will go on to study the different stages of life and the needs of people. You will be examined on this unit. In Year 11 you will consider the care values of health and social care and the importance of empowerment. Again, this will be assignment based. The last unit looks at people’s needs and how health and social care organisations meet these needs.
What does Health & Social care lead to?
This qualification is the starting point for those wanting a job in the caring sector. Examples of such jobs are Nursing, Social Work, being a care assistant and working with children. Health and Social Care can also be studied at a more advanced level when you leave Bottisham. The course also will help you to develop a range of skills such as collecting, interpreting and presenting data. These skills are valued by most employers.
How is the curriculum enriched?
We organise visits from speakers from a range of organisations who operate in the caring sector. We also hope to go to a local nursery, a residential home and a day centre.
Current syllabus: Edexcel BTEC Level 1/2 First Award in Health and Social Care
As from September 2017 the syllabus will be BTEC Tech Award Level 1/2 in Health and Social Care.
What will I study?
- In Year 10 the first component you will study is Human Lifespan Development. You will explore how individuals develop physically, emotionally, socially and intellectually over time. You will investigate how various factors, events and choices may impact on an individuals` growth and development. You will discover how people adapt to life events and cope with making changes. This component will be internally assessed.
- The second component you will study involves investigating health and social care services and learning which services are available in this country. You will look at how the care values are implemented to ensure people get the services and protection they need. This component is also internally assessed.
- The third component is externally assessed and this will take place in Year 11. It`s aim is to help improve someone`s health and well being. You will learn what being healthy means and you will explore different factors that influence health and well being and create a health and well being improvement plan for an individual.